A classic Reuben sandwich consists of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, Russian dressing between slices of rye bread that is grilled until the bread is crispy and the cheese melts. This is not a sandwich and a Reuben Pie pared with a side salad or simple soup is a wintertime wonder.
- 1/2 cup half & half milk
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp sharp mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lb cooked corned beef, flaked
- 1/2 lb uncooked lean ground beef
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained and packed
- 1 cup pumpernickel bread crumbs (2-3 slices)
- 1 prepared deep-dish pie crust
- 6 oz shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 oz Italian parsley, chopped fine
- In a medium bowl, combine the 1/2 and 1/2 cream, egg, onion, mustart, salt and pepper; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the corned beef, sauerkraut, ground beef and bread crumbs.
- Add the egg-onion mixture and mix gently with your hands until combined. Pat one-half of the mixture into prepared pie shell.
- Sprinkle cheese evenly over the top. Cover the remaining mixture and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes. Allow to set for 5-minutes and slice. You may also serve at room temperature.
- Cover leftovers with plastic wrap and freeze up to 2-months.
- To serve the frozen pie, partially thaw in the refrigerator and bake 1t 350-degrees for 45-50 minutes, until heated throughout and bubbly.
Serving: 6gCalories: -1kcal
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!